In 1771 the Council of the Royal Colony of Georgia laid out a plan for Brunswick similar to that of Savannah, namely, a grid of streets punctuated by a series of parks and squares.
The Port of Brunswick
Brunswick is on a peninsula bounded by the Brunswick River on the south and by the East River and Turtle River on the west.
During both world wars Brunswick was the site of major shipbuilding efforts. The U.S. Maritime Commission designated it as one of sixteen sites for building cargo ships for World War II (1941-45). The J. A. Jones Construction Company built eighty-five Liberty ships in Brunswick by the end of the war. The navy blimps that patrolled the southern Atlantic coast for U-boats were based at Glynco Naval Air Station. After the war the port began a comeback with the assistance of the newly created Georgia Ports Authority, and by 2000 it had become a major rival to its neighbors, Savannah and Jacksonville.
Today such Georgia forest products as wood pulp, plywood, and paper again constitute a large part of the cargo shipped via the Port of Brunswick. Other exports include agricultural products (oats, barley malt, and corn, for example) and other bulk cargoes, including gypsum, limestone, perlite, salt, sand, and cement. Imported automobiles, including cars made by Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Volkswagen, and American automobile exports, constitute a large portion of the total cargo.
Other Economic Development
Several major manufacturing or processing companies strengthen the economy of Brunswick. The Georgia-Pacific plant produces wood pulp, the Hercules plant manufactures products extracted from pine stumps, and Rich-SeaPak and King and Prince Seafood process fish and shellfish. Tourism—nourished by the area's climate, beaches, golf resorts, and history—is the single largest industry in Brunswick and Glynn County.
Since 1975 Brunswick has been home to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, located on the site of the former Glynco Naval Air Station, which closed in 1974. The center provides training for personnel in seventy federal agencies, as well as various state, local, and international law-enforcement agencies.
Education and Cultural Life
Brunswick is home to Glynn Academy, one of the oldest public schools—and the second-oldest high school—in Georgia, chartered by the state in 1788. The College of Coastal Georgia, formerly Coastal Georgia Community College, was established in 1961 as a unit of the University System of Georgia. A four-year institution, it enrolled approximately 3,000 students in 2008.
Margaret Davis Cate, Our Todays and Yesterdays: A Story of Brunswick and the Coastal Islands (Brunswick, Ga.: Glover Brothers, 1930).
Edwin H. Ginn, Recollections of Glynn (Brunswick, Ga.: Glover Printing Co., 1987).
Burnette Vanstory, Georgia's Land of the Golden Isles (1956; reprint, Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1981).
Henry E. Barber, College of Coastal Georgia
A project of the Georgia Humanities Council, in partnership with the University of Georgia Press, the University System of Georgia/GALILEO, and the Office of the Governor.